This Healthy Chicken Broccoli is a quick, easy, and healthy meal that can be made in 15 minutes or less. It requires minimal ingredients, all of which are simple and common, and it is packed with greens from the broccoli. The Healthy Chicken Broccoli recipe is also easy to meal prep, as you can make a large batch and store it in the refrigerator for later. This stir-fry is a great option for a quick weeknight dinner or healthy lunch.
This Healthy Chicken Broccoli is gluten-free by using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce but if you are not gluten free you can use any soy sauce you want. This recipe is naturally dairy free, low fat and can be made low in carbs by using brown rice noodles. You can make this vegan or vegetarian by simply omitting the chicken.
why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy: The Healthy Chicken Broccoli is packed with nutrients and is low in calories and fat.
- Easy to meal prep: The stir-fry can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This makes it a great option for meal prep.
- Gluten-free: The recipe is gluten-free, making it a good choice for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Dairy-free: The recipe is dairy-free, making it a good choice for those with milk sensitivities.
- Can be made fat-free: The recipe can be made fat-free by omitting the sesame oil.
- Low carb: This recipe can be made lower in carbs by using brown rice noodles instead of white rice noodles.
- Easy to make: The Healthy Chicken Broccoli is simple to follow and requires minimal ingredients, making it perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- Quick to prepare: The entire dish can be prepared in 15 minutes or less, making it a great option for busy individuals or families.
- Packed with protein: The chicken provides a good source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair.
- Rich in fiber: The broccoli adds fiber to the dish, which helps promote digestive health and keeps you feeling full.
- Versatile: The recipe can be easily customized to suit your taste. You can add other vegetables, such as carrots, bell peppers, or snap peas. You can also use different types of protein, such as tofu or shrimp.
- Delicious: The combination of chicken, broccoli, and sauce is simply delicious. The sauce is flavorful and slightly spicy, and it perfectly complements the chicken and broccoli.
ingredients & substitutions
Chicken is a lean and versatile protein source that is a good source of essential amino acids. It is also relatively low in calories and fat. In this recipe, diced chicken is used as the main protein source. You can use any type of cooked chicken, such as rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, or leftover chicken from a previous meal. For a vegetarian or vegan option, you can omit the chicken and add more veggies or substitute with tofu or tempeh to this Healthy Chicken Broccoli.
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that is packed with nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and K, as well as fiber. It is also a good source of antioxidants. In this recipe, broccoli florets are used to add texture and flavor to the stir-fry.
You can also use other vegetables, such as peppers and onion, cauliflower or cabbage in this Healthy Chicken Broccoli.
Rice noodles are a type of thin, flat noodles made from rice flour. They are naturally gluten free. They are a popular ingredient in stir-fries because they are quick to cook and have a neutral flavor that pairs well with a variety of sauces.
For a low-carb option, you can use brown rice noodles instead of white rice noodles in this Healthy Chicken Broccoli.
Coconut aminos is a soy sauce substitute that is made from coconut sap. It has a similar flavor to soy sauce but is naturally gluten-free and lower in sodium. In this recipe, coconut aminos is used to add flavor to the sauce.
You can also use gluten free soy sauce, or tamari in this Healthy Chicken Broccoli.
taste & texture
This Healthy Chicken Broccoli is full of asian flavorful and is better and healthier than take out. The flavor of the coconut aminos and hot sauce gives the dish a savory and umami taste, while the brown sugar provides a touch of sweetness. The sesame oil adds a nutty flavor that rounds out the dish. The chicken is tender and juicy. The broccoli florets are crisp.
Soak the rice noodles in warm water for 25 minutes until softened.
In a large skillet, add the cooked chicken and broccoli.
Heat through, about 3-5 minutes.
While the chicken and broccoli are heating, prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Add the noodles.
Pour the sauce over the chicken, broccoli, and rice mixture and stir to coat evenly.
Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce and noodles are heated through. Serve the Healthy Chicken Broccoli immediately and enjoy!
expert tips & tricks
- This stir-fry is also delicious with other vegetables, such as sliced carrots, bell peppers, or snap peas.
- For a richer Healthy Chicken Broccoli flavor, use coconut oil or peanut oil for stir-frying.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, add a teaspoon of cornstarch or tapioca starch to the sauce mixture before stir-frying.
- For a spicier dish, add more hot sauce to taste.
how to make this lower carb
To make this Healthy Chicken Broccoli low carb, simply substitute brown rice noodles for white rice noodles. Brown rice noodles are a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates, which will help you feel full and satisfied. You can also add other low-carb vegetables to the dish, such as zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach.
how to make this vegan
To make this Healthy Chicken Broccoli vegan, omit the chicken and substitute with tofu or tempeh. Both tofu and tempeh are good sources of protein and can be easily flavored to your taste. You can also add other vegan ingredients to the dish, such as edamame, quinoa, or chickpeas.
how to make this low fat or healthier
For a healthier, low fat Healthy Chicken Broccoli, eliminate the oil from the recipe altogether. The stir-fry will still be delicious and satisfying without the added fat.
how to serve, store and meal prep
Serving and Storing
This Healthy Chicken Broccoli is best served immediately after cooking. However, it can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store, simply place the stir-fry in an airtight container and refrigerate. When you are ready to reheat, simply heat the stir-fry in a skillet over medium heat until it is heated through. You can also reheat the stir-fry in the microwave. To do this, simply place the stir-fry in a microwave-safe container and heat it on high power for 2-3 minutes, or until it is heated through.
This stir-fry can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, simply place the stir-fry in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze. When you are ready to reheat, simply thaw the stir-fry in the refrigerator overnight. Then, heat the stir-fry in a skillet over medium heat until it is heated through. You can also reheat the stir-fry in the microwave. To do this, simply place the stir-fry in a microwave-safe container and heat it on high power for 2-3 minutes, or until it is heated through.
This Healthy Chicken Broccoli is a great option for meal prep because it is easy to make in advance and store in individual portions. To meal prep, simply cook the stir-fry according to the recipe. Then, divide the stir-fry into individual containers and store it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat, simply heat up the stir-fry in the microwave or in a skillet.
You can also prepare the ingredients for this stir-fry beforehand and store them in the refrigerator. This will make it even easier to make the stir-fry when you are short on time. To prepare the ingredients beforehand, simply cook the rice noodles according to package directions. Then, chop the chicken and broccoli. Finally, whisk together the sauce ingredients. When you are ready to make the stir-fry, simply stir-fry the chicken and broccoli in a skillet with a little oil until they are cooked through. Then, add the sauce and rice noodles and stir-fry for a few minutes more, or until everything is heated through.
you may also like
Healthy Chicken and Broccoli (gluten free option)
- 1/2 package rice noodles or brown rice noodles for low carb
- 2 cups broccoli stalk florets
- 2 cups chicken fully cooked and diced omit for vegan/vegetarian
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Soak the rice noodles in warm water for 25 minutes until softened.
- In a large skillet, add the cooked chicken and broccoli. Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- While the chicken and broccoli are heating, prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Add the noodles.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet covering the chicken, broccoli, and rice mixture. Stir to coat evenly.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce and noodles are heated through.
- Add optional crushed peanuts on top.