These gluten free chicken meatballs are really easy to make! All you’ll need is ground chicken, oat milk, gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs, an egg, and dairy-free parmesan cheese.
The meatballs are formed and baked on a single sheet pan, minimizing cleanup. They cook up in a mere 25-35 minutes. Serve them with your favorite pasta sauce or on their own for a delicious and nutritious snack.
These gluten free chicken meatballs are low fat, gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
why you’ll love this recipe
- These tasty and satisfying gluten-free chicken meatballs are made with simple ingredients and are perfect for a quick and easy meal.
- Once baked, they can be enjoyed immediately or stored in the freezer for quick and easy meals later on.
- This gluten free chicken meatball recipe is perfect for meal prepping, as the meatballs can be cooked ahead of time and reheated when needed.
- They’re a versatile addition to various meals, whether served over pasta, tucked into sandwiches, or enjoyed as a healthy lunch or snack.
- Not only are these meatballs gluten-free, but they can also be made low-fat by using lean ground chicken and reducing the amount of dairy-free parmesan cheese.
- If you are not gluten free you can use regular breadcrumbs.
- If you are not dairy free you can use standard dairy milk and parmesan cheese.
ingredients & substitutions
Ground chicken is the base of these gluten free chicken meatballs. It provides a lean base and is packed with protein. Its mild flavor pairs well with the other ingredients without overpowering them. If ground chicken is unavailable, ground turkey can be substituted. Ground turkey has a similar texture and nutritional profile to ground chicken and can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
Oat milk adds moisture and richness to the gluten free chicken meatballs while keeping them gluten-free. Its subtle sweetness complements the savory flavors of the other ingredients. If oat milk is not available, almond milk or cashew milk can be used as substitutes. These dairy-free milk alternatives provide similar consistency and flavor profiles and can be easily interchanged in this recipe. If you are not dairy free you can use dairy based milk.
Gluten-Free Seasoned Breadcrumbs:
Gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs bind the gluten free chicken meatball mixture and add texture and flavor. They provide a crispy outer coating when baked. If gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs are unavailable, gluten-free rolled oats can be used as a substitute. Pulse the oats in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs to achieve the desired texture.
If you are not guten free you an use regular breadcrumbs.
The egg acts as a binder, helping to hold the gluten free chicken meatball mixture together and preventing it from falling apart. It also adds richness and moisture to the meatballs. If an egg is not available or cannot be consumed, a flaxseed meal mixture can be used as a substitute. Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for 5 minutes until it thickens. This mixture can be substituted for one egg in the recipe.
Dairy-Free Parmesan Cheese:
Dairy-free parmesan cheese adds a salty and umami flavor to the meatballs. It provides a hint of cheesy goodness without the dairy. If dairy-free parmesan cheese is not available, nutritional yeast can be used as a substitute. Nutritional yeast has a similar cheesy flavor profile and can be easily incorporated into the recipe. If you are not dairy free you can use regular dairy based parmesan cheese.
taste & texture
These gluten-free chicken meatballs are tender and juicy, with a slightly crispy exterior. They have a mild savory flavor with a hint of sweetness from the oat milk. The dairy-free parmesan cheese adds a touch of saltiness, making them taste cheesy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, oat milk, breadcrumbs, egg, and dairy-free parmesan cheese. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Form the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
Place the gluten free chicken meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the gluten free chicken meatballs are cooked through.
Serve immediately with your favorite pasta sauce or on their own.
expert tips & tricks
- For added flavor, you can add your favorite herbs and spices to the gluten free chicken meatball mixture.
- If you don’t have dairy-free parmesan cheese, you can substitute it with nutritional yeast.
- These meatballs can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until heated through.
- Cook the meatballs until they are cooked through: An internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) is ideal.
- Let the meatballs rest for a few minutes before serving: This will allow the juices to redistribute and prevent them from drying out.
how to serve, store and meal prep
These gluten free chicken meatballs can be served in various ways to suit your taste preferences. They can be enjoyed over a bed of pasta topped with your favorite marinara sauce, tucked into sandwiches, or added to salads for a protein boost. They can also be served as a healthy snack or appetizer.
To store these gluten free chicken meatballs in the refrigerator, simply place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. They can be reheated in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through or in a microwave oven in 30-second intervals until heated through.
For longer-term storage, you can freeze these gluten free chicken meatballs. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the meatballs to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat frozen meatballs, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then bake them at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
To meal prep these gluten free chicken meatballs in individual portions, simply form the meatballs as directed in the recipe and place them in a muffin tin lined with parchment paper. Bake the meatballs according to the recipe instructions, then allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, transfer the meatballs to individual containers or zip-top bags and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat individual portions, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat them in a microwave oven in 30-second intervals until heated through.
You can also prepare these gluten free chicken meatballs in advance and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. To do this, simply form the meatballs as directed in the recipe and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the meatballs with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake the meatballs according to the recipe instructions.
you may also like
Gluten Free Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons oat milk
- 1 cup gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, oat milk, breadcrumbs, egg, and dairy-free parmesan cheese. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite pasta sauce or on their own.