This Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl is a quick and easy meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight or a healthy lunch. It is made with minimal ingredients that are simple and common, and it is packed with vegetables.
This recipe is gluten free, low carb and nut free. It can be made low fat by using fat free cheese. It cab be made dairy free by using dairy free cheese. To make this vegan you can use a vegan steak like this one I used!
why you’ll love this recipe
- The Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl recipe only requires six ingredients: peppers, onions, leftover steak slices, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce (optional).
- The peppers and onions can be cooked in the same skillet as the steak, so there is minimal cleanup.
- The cheese can be added to the skillet and melted while the steak is cooking, so there is no need to use a separate pan.
- The Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl recipe can be made in 15 minutes or less. The peppers and onions take about 5 minutes to cook, and the steak takes about 2 minutes to heat through. The cheese takes about 2 minutes to melt.
- The recipe is easy to meal prep.
- The steak and vegetables can be cooked ahead of time and reheated when you are ready to eat. The cheese can be added to the steak and vegetables when you are ready to serve.
- The recipe is packed with vegetables.
- The peppers and onions are a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- The steak is a good source of protein and iron.
- The recipe is gluten-free. The peppers, onions, steak, and mozzarella cheese are all gluten-free.
- The recipe can be made fat-free. Use a non-stick skillet and cook the steak and vegetables in water or broth instead of oil. Use low-fat or fat-free mozzarella cheese.
ingredients & substitutions
Peppers are an essential ingredient in this Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl, providing a fresh burst of veggies.
For those who prefer a spicier variation, substitute bell peppers with poblano or jalapeño peppers for a zesty kick.
Onions add depth and complexity to this low-carb Philly cheesesteak bowl. For a milder flavor, substitute yellow onions with sweet Vidalia onions or white onions.
Steak is the star of this Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl, providing a hearty dose of protein and savory flavor. Thinly sliced steak cooks quickly and evenly, allowing for a quick and easy meal preparation. For a leaner option, substitute ribeye steak with sirloin or flank steak.
You can use any left over steak you have in this recipe or cook the steak ahead of time.
Mozzarella cheese adds a creamy, melty texture and a delightful mild flavor to this Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl. Its subtle taste complements the other ingredients without overpowering them, creating a cohesive and satisfying dish. Mozzarella is a good source of calcium, essential for bone health and muscle function. It also contains protein, which supports tissue repair and growth. For a dairy-free or low-fat option, substitute mozzarella cheese with vegan cheese shreds or low-fat mozzarella cheese.
taste & texture
The tender, juicy steak provides a hearty base, while the sautéed peppers and onions add a crispness and sweetness to the dish. The melted cheese adds a rich and creamy element, bringing all the flavors together. The overall taste of this Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl is savory and satisfying.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the steak slices to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the cheese over the steak and vegetables.
Cover the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
expert tips & tricks
- For a more flavorful dish, add 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to the vegetables while they are cooking.
- If you don’t have leftover steak slices, you can use cooked ground beef or chicken instead.
how to serve, store and meal prep
Once prepared, the Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl is ready to be served immediately. Simply divide the mixture among individual bowls and enjoy the warm, flavorful combination of steak, vegetables, and melted cheese.
For leftovers or meal prep, the Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Allow the bowl to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or covering it tightly with plastic wrap.
For longer storage, the Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. To freeze, let the bowl cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag. Ensure the container or bag is sealed tightly to prevent freezer burn.
When ready to reheat, thaw the frozen Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature. Once thawed, you can reheat the bowl in the microwave until heated through or in a skillet over medium heat until warmed.
Meal Prep Tips:
To prepare the Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl for easy meal prep, simply cook the steak, peppers, and onions according to the recipe. Divide the mixture among individual containers, allowing them to cool completely before sealing them tightly. Store the containers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Pre-Baking for Meal Prep:
For a more convenient option, you can pre-bake the Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl before freezing. Follow the recipe until you add the cheese. Divide the mixture among individual containers, top each with cheese, and cover tightly with foil. Freeze the containers for up to 2-3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the frozen bowl overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Remove the foil from the container and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
you may also like
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl
- 1 medium bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 cup leftover steak slices thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese dairy-free or low-fat
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the steak slices to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the steak and vegetables.
- Cover the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into two bowls and serve.