These Gluten free BBQ Tacos are so easy to make and perfect for a fun game day appetizer. They are naturally gluten free, nut free and can be made dairy free. The tacos are made on corn tortillas and topped with shredded chicken, cheese of choice and bbq sauce. The tacos come together quickly with minimal prep work. Double or triple the recipe to make a large batch of tacos.
Overall, these Gluten free BBQ Tacos are a crowd-pleasing combination of smoky, savory, and creamy flavors, with a satisfyingly crispy texture.
why you’ll love this recipe
- Effortless cooking: Just toss everything in the crockpot and let it do the work! Perfect for busy weeknights or when you need a simple, satisfying meal.
- Smoky & savory flavor: The BBQ rub and sauce infuse the chicken with delicious depth, while the low-sodium bone broth adds richness without too much salt.
- Melty cheese & crunch: Shredded cheddar adds a creamy counterpoint to the smoky chicken, and baking the tortillas gives them a satisfying golden brown crisp.
- Customizable toppings: Get creative with your favorite taco toppings like salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, or hot sauce for a personalized experience.
- Gluten-free friendly: All the ingredients can be found in gluten-free versions, making this recipe ideal for those with dietary restrictions.
- No need for messy browning or constant hovering over the stove.
- Shredding the chicken takes mere minutes with two forks.
- Simple assembly with minimal ingredients allows for quick prep time.
- Baking cleans up in a flash thanks to the parchment paper lining.
ingredients & substitutions
Chicken: The star of the Gluten free BBQ Tacos show! Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for easy shredding. Use shredded jackfruit or vegan chick’n or peppers and onions for a vegan version.
Chicken Bone Broth: Adds flavor and moisture. Low-sodium keeps the dish healthy. Substitute with vegetable broth for a vegetarian option.
BBQ Rub: Spices and herbs for smoky, savory goodness. Choose your favorite blend or mix your own. Substitute with paprika, chili powder, and cumin for a DIY rub.
Corn Tortillas: Gluten-free corn tortillas are used here but or if you are not gluten free flour tortillas work too. For low carb Gluten free BBQ Tacos try cauliflower tortillas.
Cheese: Melty cheddar adds creamy richness. Monterey Jack or pepper jack are good substitutes. Use vegan cheese for a vegan Gluten free BBQ Tacos.
Smoky BBQ Sauce: Sweet and smoky, balances the chicken’s savory notes. Try another BBQ sauce or even ketchup for a different flavor twist.
taste & texture
These Gluten free BBQ Tacos are smoky and savory, with the BBQ rub and BBQ sauce. The shredded chicken is tender and juicy, falling apart easily in your mouth. The melty cheddar cheese provides a creamy cheesy flavor to the smoky chicken, while the golden brown, crispy tortillas add a satisfying crunch.
Add the chicken, bone broth and barbeque seasoning to a crock pot. Cook on High for 3 hours or until chicken is fully cooked and easy to shred.
Preheat oven to 425.
On a lined baking sheet add the corn tortillas.
Place a spoonful of shredded chicken on each tortilla. Top with cheese and fold over. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden brown.
expert tips & tricks
- Serve with your favorite toppings like salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, or hot sauce.
- For extra crispy tortillas, brush them with a little olive oil before baking.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of BBQ rub and sauce to your desired level of smokiness and sweetness.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
how to make this lower carb
Ditch the tortillas and serve the Gluten free BBQ Tacos ingredients in lettuce wraps or with cauliflower tortillas.
how to make this low fat or healthier
Skip the cheese and or use low fat cheese instead for healthier Gluten free BBQ Tacos.
how to make this vegan
Swap chicken for shredded jackfruit or peppers and onions. Use vegan cheese for vegan Gluten free BBQ Tacos.
how to serve, store and meal prep
Serve: Assemble Gluten free BBQ Tacos right away for the crispiest tortillas. Enjoy hot with your favorite toppings. Leftovers? No problem!
Store: Cool completely, then pack leftovers in airtight containers. In the fridge, the Gluten free BBQ Tacos will keep for 3 days. For longer storage, freeze cooked chicken and BBQ sauce separately for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Thaw frozen portions overnight in the fridge. To reheat, warm chicken and sauce gently on the stovetop or in the microwave until steaming. Crisp tortillas in the oven or toaster before assembling.
Meal prep: Cook and shred chicken in advance. Portion chicken and sauce into containers, keeping tortillas separate. Assemble the Gluten free BBQ Tacos and heat at work or school for a quick and tasty lunch.
you may also like
Listen to the podcast on this recipe here!
In this episode, Kayla Cappiello shares her favorite taco recipes for Super Bowl. She discusses the process of making shredded chicken and provides tips for achieving the perfect texture. Kayla also explains how to season the chicken and shares her preferred seasonings for barbecue and Mexican-style tacos. She then explains how to prepare the tortillas and bake the tacos in the oven. Kayla mentions that the recipe can also be made in an air fryer. She suggests alternative tortilla options for those with dietary restrictions and recommends Siete Foods chips. Kayla concludes by mentioning upcoming recipes and where to find her.
BBQ Tacos (gluten free, dairy free option)
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 16 oz Chicken Bone Broth Low Sodium
- 3 Tbsp Barbecue Rub
- 6 Corn Tortilla gluten free
- 1 cup Mild Cheddar Cheese or vegan substitute
- 3/4 cup Smoky BBQ Sauce gluten free
- Add the chicken, bone broth and barbeque seasoning to a crock pot.
- Cook on High for 3 hours or until chicken is fully cooked and easy to shred.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- On a lined baking sheet add the corn tortillas.
- Place a spoonful of shredded chicken on each tortilla.
- Top with cheese and fold over.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden brown.
- Enjoy your crispy tacos immediately with your favorite toppings, such as salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, or hot sauce.